Prof. Dr. Oliver Ehmer
I am a full professor in Romance Linguistics at the University of Osnabrück (Institut für Romanistik und Latinistik). My research focuses on language in its context of use, mainly in oral communication but also in written media. I am inspired by interactional, cognitive and usage-based linguistic approaches. On November 25, 2021 I was accepted into the Heisenberg programme (DFG). The funding is awarded for 3 (+ 2) years, starting in April 2022 with a Heisenberg-Professorship.
My research interests include:
- Linguistic structure, social interaction and cognition
- Language variation and change
- Digital humanities, language corpora, corpus technology
My current projects focus on:
- Requests for action in interaction and language change (Heisenberg project)
- Knowledge transmission in interaction
- Pragmatic particles
- Inferences in interaction and language change
- Remembering in conversation, fragmented syntax and polyphony
Events in 2023
- Talk: "The leg goes first - TACK. Syntax and the body in a bi-partite instructional format", Embodied syntax network conference, organizers: Emily Hofstetter, Leelo Keevallik, Jan Lindström, Yael Maschler & Jakob Steensig September 07 - 08, 2023, Linköping (Sweden).
- Talk: "Echoic responses to requests for confirmation in Spanish", 5th Meeting of scientific network (DFG) 'Interactional Linguistics', organizers: Oliver Ehmer & Florence Oloff, October 11-13, 2023, Osnabück (Germany), with Malte Rosemeyer.
- Workshop: "5th Meeting of the scientific network (DFG) 'Interactional Linguistics'", organizers: Oliver Ehmer & Florence Oloff, October 11-13, 2023, Osnabück (Germany).
- Talk: "Title t.b.a.", Seminario Permanente de Análisis de la Conversación (SPAC), organizers: Luis Manuel Olguín et al., December 12, 2023, Online.
- Talk: "Laissé ouvert à l'inférence. Entre aposiopèse et co-construction en français parlé" (working title), 1st conference in the series 'Aux frontières de la langue parlée: Pratiques de reformulation et recherches de mot dans une perspective cross-linguistique et multimodale', organizers: Heike Baldauf, Florence Oloff & Sara Merlino, June 11-12, 2024, German-Italian Centre for the European Dialogue, Villa Vigoni (Italy).
- Talk: "Language in time. Analyzing how teachers modify their directives in the course of instructing a bodily skill", workshop organizers: Emily Hofstetter & Leelo Keevallik, April 4, 2023, U Linköping (Sweden).
- Talk: "Shell-noun-constructions of the type 'X de Y'", 1st Meeting of the scientific network (DFG) "CoPrEspa - The Dynamics of Prepositions and Prepositional Constructions in Spanish", organizers: Evelyn Wiesinger & Inga Hennecke, July 06-07, 2023, U Tübingen (Germany), with Inga Hennecke & María Sol Sansiñena Pascual.
- Talk: "Recycling turns in multimodal dance instructions", 18th International Pragmatics Conference (IPrA), panel on "Recycling and reshaping previous turns in multimodal interactions", panel organizers: Vanessa Piccoli & Biagio Ursi, July 09 - 14, 2023, Brussels (Belgium).